Friday, April 07, 2006

Urusov Miniature

I noticed that IM Ben Finegold was able to record almost all of his games from memory after playing in a blitz tournament. I, on the other hand, can only reconstruct one: a cute Urusov miniature.

Goeller - NN, KCC Blitz 04.06.2006
1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d4 Nxe4 4.dxe5 Bc5


diagram

White to play and win.


I said to my opponent: "Don't you ever read my blog?" This basic motif had appeared not once, but twice in the puzzle positions I had posted from the recent Club Championship.

5.Qd5 Bxf2+ 6.Kf1 0-0 7.Qxe4 Bb6 8.Nf3 d6 9.Ng5 g6 10.Qh4 h5 11.Qf4 dxe5? 12.Bxf7+ Kg7 13.Qxe5+ Kh6?? [13...Qf6+ 14.Qxf6+ Kxf6 15.Bb3+-]


diagram

Mate in two.


14.Ne6+ Kh7 15.Qg7# 1-0

5 comments:

katar said...

Quite a brootuhl game.
The blog comment is possibly the best example of trash-talking i've ever heard of.

Another contender i've witnessed: (white opens 1.e4) , Black says "Is that all you got?" \m/

Michael Goeller said...

Yeah, I guess it comes across as "trash talk" -- but I said it with a certain self-ironizing grin :-). My impression is that the players at the club who might benefit the most from our blog are the least likely to visit. You might say I was giving him some encouragement... :-)

katar said...

My friends and i use "trash talk" to mean "banter"-- not in a perjorative sense at all. So by "best example" i meant it was a clever repartee. I also like the irony of "That all you got?" after 1.e4.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michael; nice and thematic game. Speaking of the Urusov, have you sorted out that novelty that you posted about eons ago?

Michael Goeller said...

I'll try to get back to it -- though I think what I posted was pretty good. I was thinking of writing another note about the Urusov in response to the game Waite - Shipman, 17 USCCC 2006 (in Alex Dunne's column on p. 264-265 of April's Chess Life), but I see that I already have some good analysis on that line in my Urusov site....

I will try to put together something down the road, though, on the Urusov -- so stay tuned!