Thursday, October 27, 2005

NM Scott Massey Lecture and Other Contributions

diagram Black to play after 25.Qg3.
What's the best move and why?


NM Scott Massey lectured last week on "How to Analyze," and I have finally been able to post notes on that lecture and on the game he analyzed (Rosenthal - Steinitz, Vienna 1873, in which the position above arises). Since I missed most of the lecture, the notes are based mostly on his handout and on game annotations from various sources. I have always tried to add a little something to the lectures, but in this case I am practically reconstructing it (or making it up....) Scott lectures again next Thursday, November 3, from 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. at the Kenilworth Chess Club on endgame themes. All are welcome and the fee is $5 per person.

I have also recently posted Scott's lecture on "Moscow 1925 and the Origins of the Soviet School of Chess" and his list of "Most Impressive Chess Books" --both of which still need some editing, but people have been inquiring about them so I've posted what I have so far.

Reading and playing through Scott's most recent contributions to our website, I realize how much chess knowledge is created at our club every week. As with many things, it's not until you write them down that you recognize their value.

No comments: