Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Another Chess Tourist in New York

Tom Panelas tells us a fun way for chessplayers to tour "New York in Nine Hours" at his blog The Knights of Castle Kimbark. I imagine him making his way through various chess destinations to arrive at Times Square to see the ball drop. I'm glad he mentions the Chess & Checkers House in Central Park (even if he didn't make it there either), since it is a lovely chess tourist destination and very active of late (having only re-opened in the past two years), hosting a number of simuls and events. There are also a number of games clubs in the City, including the Midtown Backgammon & Chess Club (265 West 37th Street ), Ace Point Club (328 East 61st Street), the New York Chess & Backgammon Club (120 West 41st Street). I might also mention The Compleat Strategist (11 East 33rd Street) for general boardgame junkies.

Visit my post "A Chess Tourist in New York City" or click on the "chess tourism" label for some of my other posts on this topic.

2 comments:

Tom Panelas said...

Michael,

Thanks for the new leads. I didn't know about these other clubs. This gives me a good excuse to go back to New York.

Best,
Tom

P.S. I wonder how long before somebody opens a chess-and-poker club.

aaronnssd said...

I really want to thank the author for such a nice blog that helped me to understand why it is important. Safest Tourist Destinations