The Kenilworth Chess Club's fun, friendly, yet highly competitive Summer Tournament starts tomorrow night at 9:15 p.m. This year we will have 2 sections: Open and U1200. Here are the rules :
- Entry Fee is $5.00.
- The tournament will run from June 9th through August 25th.
- The event is not rated.
- The time control is G/60.
- G/55+5 (delay or increment) may be used if there is mutual agreement between paired players.
- You may play anyone in your section. The first time you play an opponent, the lower rated player has white, in subsequent games against the same opponent you alternate colors.
- You may not play the same opponent more than four times in the tournament.
- You get one point for a win, one half point for a draw, and zero for a loss.
- You may play as many or as few games as you like, but no more than two in one night. The more you play the more points you can win.
- All games are to be played at the Kenilworth Chess Club during normal operating hours.
- The winner is the person who has the most points at the end of the tournament.
- The prizes are 60% for first place, 30% for second, and 10% for third.
- Entries are accepted throughout the summer.
Past winners of this popular, unrated event include NM Scott Massey (2004), NM Mark Kernighan (2005), Greg Tomkovich (2006), John Moldovan (2008), Ian Mangion (2009) and Ari Minkov (2007, 2010).
Please remember that the Kenilworth CC will not have access to the Community Center until 9:15 p.m. tonight because a CPR class is being taught there.
Rounds 2-12 will begin at our usual starting time of 8:00 p.m.
I am going to try to participate this year, which I have not done since 2008 I think. I am sure I will not attend enough to have a shot at winning, but it is a fun event and a great tradition that has helped to sustain the club through the slow summer months (when so many players go on vacation). Here are some reflections from past tournaments in which I participated:
- More Second Chances (2008)
- Chess and Second Chances (2008)
- KST Wrap-up, Part One and Part Two (2006 -- Chess Coroner)
- Summer Tournament Update (2006)
- Summer Tourney Upsets (2006)
- The Same, But Different (2006)
- 2006 KCC Summer Tourney, Round Four (2006)
- 2006 KCC Summer Tourney, Round Three (2006)
- 2006 Summer Tournament, Round Two (2006)
- 10-year-old Anna Matlin Enters Summer Tournament (2006)
- Kernighan - Goeller, KCC Summer Tourney 2005 (2005)
- Goeller - Kernighan, KCC Summer Tourney 2005 (2005)
- The Summer Tournament (2005)