Monday, August 25, 2014

The Complete Alrick H. Man Vienna Gambit Theme Tournament


I have posted analysis of Carlos Torre's two games from the Alrick H. Man Vienna Gambit Theme Tournament with Spielmann's favorite line 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.f4 d5 4.fxe5 Nxe4 5.Qf3!?  Analysis suggests that it is an interesting alternative to the standard 5.Nf3, if not quite as strong.

Position after 5.Qf3!?

As this completes my analysis of the Vienna Gambit and of the nine games from the tournament, I have also posted a Complete Tournament Games and Vienna Gambit Analysis (PGN) which includes all of the games previously annotated plus two additional games.   I hope my analysis is useful to those who would want to try out this interesting opening.   

See also:

4 comments:

MNb said...

Your notes after 5.Qh3 Nc6 6.Bb5 Nxc3 7.dxc3 Qh4+ (I'll take a look at ...Be7 later) 8.g3 Qe4+ 9.Qxe4 dxe4 10.Bxc6+ bxc6 11.Be3 are missing. Mine continue with a game Bueno-Santos, 2008: Be6 12.Ne2 O-O-O 13.Nd4 Bd7 14.O-O Re8 with a draw. I'd like to play this position as White because of 15.Rxf7 Rxe5 16.Raf1 with active pieces.

Instead of Torre's 9.Nf3 White might try 9.cxd4 as in Swanson-Yeo, England 1998.
Of course Black can equalize after 5.Qf3, but so does the Berlin Wall and Spielmann's variation is far more complicated!

Because of my distrust of 5.Nf3 (see my second comment on your previous article) I'd prefer 5.Qf3 .

Michael Goeller said...

I am reading A Chess Opening Repertoire for Blitz and Rapid by Evgeny and Vladimir Sveshnikov, which makes a compelling case for the 5.Qf3 lines. I think you are right, MNb: it is the best try for interesting play in the Vienna Gambit for White.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael Goeller said...

The Complete PGN can now be found here:

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworth-pgn/alrick-man-complete.pgn

Using that URL as a model, you can track down all of the other PGN files linked to at this site.