Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Fluxus Chess Game



I went to the Fluxus Art Show at the Zimmerli Art Museum today to play some chess.  It was a fun experience and an interesting challenge to play a game using fruits and vegetables in place of pieces.  I played an interesting game against Lev Zilbermintz, which I have reconstructed and annotated.  Though not a lot of chess players showed up, it was a fun event and definitely representative of the Fluxus art philosophy, which often incorporates audience members into a spontaneous performance of art made up of found objects.  It was a very relaxed atmosphere and one of the most fun games I have played in a long time.  Though my opponent got confused by the crazy board and dropped a piece early in the game, he battled as best he could until I was able to put together a deadly mating net (see diagram below).



Black to play and win most quickly.

No comments: